Sunday, October 21, 2012

A little regret but a BIG goal

Today is the Detroit Marathon. Over the summer I came across this race and I was excited about it. There are basically 3 races (and a relay) during this race. There is the full marathon that goes over the bridge and back through the tunnel, out to Belle Isle and then done, the International half that does the first half of the marathon course and then the non international half that does the second half including Belle Isle. When I brought it up to Jeff he was the voice of reason. First, it would mean ramping my training up to get ready on time. It would also mean my first half would not be the Princess as I had planned. We had already invested a lot in the Princess and I did want it to be special and I do not want to take away from it.

As today got closer I was more and more disappointed in my choice to not run the half downtown. I have several friends running in it and another Princess friend was making it her first. I just kept telling myself I can do it in 2013 and it will give me another goal to shoot for, plus I can work on a good time finish in Detroit since I know for Princess I am not going for time.

The posts on Facebook started about 2 hours ago as people I know are finishing and showing off their bling. Instead of being jealous (OK, I am 100% jealous) I have decided to turn this into a real goal. I want to run the Detroit FULL MARATHON in 2013. I know I can do it and I have already mentioned it to Jeff since I will need his support to make this happen because it will be a sacrifice for everyone since I know the training is more but it will also mean I can do it at home and I don't have the expense and hassle of traveling (though doing the Disney Full is still a dream--just not a goal yet). So I have 364 days to make this happen. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could bump this Erin. I had no idea you had a blog.....how did I not know that!?!?!?! Look at how far you've come in the past year! WOW!!!! You are so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete