Wednesday, May 16, 2012

RunFast Appointment

In an effort to put some of my fears to rest, I contacted the Sports Medicine division at Henry Ford. They have a program called RunFast that is just one of their performance enhancement offerings. Though it is not covered by insurance, I figured that if I am really going to do this thing, I need to do it right and I could also submit the $125 to my FSA so it made it worth it to me.

My appointment was at 7:30am. Dave came out and instantly you could tell he knew what he was doing. He just gave off confidence. We went in and he started doing his assessment of me. He took some history, mostly about my injury and concerns. From there he had me move and bend and he flex and checked my legs from every angle. He had me walk, run, work on the treadmill. He videotaped me during a lot of this in order to analyze it for what I am doing wrong (and right

I had some trouble with the balance and strength but he said it was not as bad as he would have predicted. In the end I was really happy with the outcome. It turns out that my right calf (that was a surprise) is really tight. He said his concern was that before the rupture my left might also have been tight and the rupture actually loosened it up. He gave me 3 strengthening exercises to do 2 times a week and 5 stretching ones to work on making my calf more flexible. I was there for 90 minutes and with him the entire time.

I go back on June 5th in order to get the next level of instruction and to see what the video told him.  I am excited that I can do this.

Here is a link to what Henry Ford has to offer for athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment